The ability to read and to comprehend text is a fundamental skill, required for success in school and later in life. In national and international surveys (PISA and others), it has come to our attention that the reading ability among pupils is on the decline. This fact imposes a great challenge for our schools and teachers – what are we to do, to thwart this negative trend? Finding methods that stimulate the curiosity for reading is of the utmost importance. Through development of systems and strategies that target how pupils relate to reading, we hope to turn the tide.
An unfortunate but general development is that the difference between sexes is increasing, with boys getting left behind. This is disturbing and may ultimately become a mechanism of exclusion in society.
With this project, involving children aged 6-12 years and their teachers, (preschool and primary school) we wish to exchange experiences through international cooperation, we want to trade experiences with others and find models that can improve on the pupils’ reading ability. At the same time we want to develop the teachers’ pedagogical competence regarding reading and multi literacy.
The reading projects are performed in the native language of the school, but all documentation will be in English in order to be able to share the results.
- Strengthen the teachers’ pedagogical competence regarding reading through international interaction
- Develop the schools’ strategies regarding reading ability and multi literacy
- Develop the pupils’ reading ability and reading comprehension
- Stimulate curiosity for reading and create a positive reading environment in schools
- Develop methods that help not so strong readers
- Support the pupils’ skills in interpretation, production and evaluation of texts
- Develop critical thinking regarding different types of texts
- Develop an ethical and reflecting reading ability in a world of cultural diversity
- Support schools working with reading and the difference between the home language and school language of the pupil
- Stimulate reading with the aid of technical devices
This project has a central role in the long term development of strategies regarding reading and multi literacy. The international character of the project stimulates and builds professionalism concerning how to teach reading and reading comprehension.
Internationally all countries seek solutions and different ways of taking on areas of the project and experience, solutions and best practice that can be exchanged between the schools of the participating countries. We actively strive to give our pupils the benefits that follow having a well-developed reading ability and competency regarding texts.
The fact that the pupils themselves participate in the project lays the foundation for a positive reading environment in school. Through this international co-operation both teachers and pupils become better equipped to face the future. Electronic devices will be used as part of the project and a webpage will be created. All to ease communication and further prepare the participants for the future.